Pages

12/06/2010

Stupid Human Tricks ...

Long ago and far away, I used to laugh at David Letterman's Stupid (Dog) Tricks ... turns out that over the years I've been trained to do my fair share of stupid human tricks.

Blondie Boy, I always thought, is very average.  If you ask him, he's a genius.

Every morning, he gets up and then gets me up to ensure he will indeed be provided with a dog-cookie before he patrols the yard.  If the cookie jar doesn't make the sound (it growls), that cookie doesn't count.  Evidently any cookie provided without sound effects doesn't have calories and doesn't count against the day's consumption.

In recent months, every day at five o'clock, he finds me and tells me how cute he is.  Then there is the reminder to feed him.  (Mealtime isn't contingent on this reminder, but he makes one anyway for good measure.)


Thing is, I had no idea how he knew every day to make the announcement at that precise time. 

In my foyer, there is an old fashioned clock that has chimes.  Every hour and half-hour the clock announces the time to the world.  Or it would if I remembered to keep it wound.

Yesterday, the clock had worn down and wasn't ticking. The dog didn't make his announcement.  I didn't think much of it.

Today, I was in the living room and could hear it chime.  Right after the final bell tolled at five, the dog came in to get his dose of love.

Question is, which of us is smarter?  He waits for the clock and, apparently, lives by it.  I thought he was genius and was looking at the stage of the sun.

I guess if you have to ask, you already know the answer.

1 comment:

Lizzy D said...

That s so smart! He knows the signals (cooky growl, clock chime) and maybe that 's what makes him perform his "tricks" on schedule. However, my doggy , world famous pug Killer also knew exactly when it was 5 PM and dinner time! And we have no clocks that chime etc. and no set schedules. I d wonder---is it the angle of the sunlight? Or what...
They're very intelligent! And we love them so much, right?

love

r