Pages

2/22/2010

In Praise of Plodding




What is a plodder?

A plodder is someone who evaluates a situation before rushing in.
He or she looks at options and weighs the best one for him/herself before making a choice.
He looks at the ramifications of those choices on the overall situation.
After weighing all options, the plodder takes determined and deliberate action.

I have let my writing muse take a vacation since November and I'm not proud of that. Then again, I've let the housework muse have a holiday for two years and the gardening muse went on walk about for close to a decade.

I have decided to schedule each of these muses, to go forth a little at a time and plod.

It isn't like an untold story will whither away and die, it is simply untold. An untold story is a promise not yet fulfilled. A house not tended and a garden left alone have more consequence.

I have taken a lesson from one of the family dogs. She would nap and ponder what she wanted from the next moment. She would evaluate all of her options: a cookie, a dog treat, a game of ball, or another nap. Undoubtedly she made the best decisions for herself at the time. She plodded and lived a happy life. My turn to plod.

No comments: