Pages

5/16/2011

the rewriting of fairy tales

Recently in the movies, there have been remakes of several fairy tales ... Beauty and the Beast and Snow White (I don't count the re-re-releases of the Disney Classics as retellings).

Fairy Tale Magazine has actually solicited re-tellings of several stories, most recently Snow White ... Their next is going to be Cinderella.

What makes this unique?  Easy.  They want a different point of view for their pieces.

I wrote, and scrapped, the story of Rumpelstiltskin from the point of view of a field mouse in the hay.  The lower the hay bale, the colder I felt about the piece.  When it came to Snow White, I kept wanting to write about a layoff in the land of far away and having to reduce the number of dwarves to four or five (to be done by combining names of some and altering personalities of others).  My idea was not well received ... never are truly great ideas appreciated until after the death of the visionary. 

Their next story up for grabs is Cinderella.  I'm thinking what about a very harried fairy godmother who has been known to show up a day late and a dollar short, or cross her wires with someone and go to the wrong job ... then again, this might not work for them at all.

I repeat, the truly unique perspectives aren't appreciated at first presentation.  *sigh*  (Insert inspiration for fairy godmothers here)

http://www.fairytalemagazine.com/

2 comments:

Lizzy D said...

I love the photo! Is one of the "fairies" you? So cute.

And your ideas for your fairytales are so funny and creative....maybe themag just wants hohum modernist versions? Like on One Tree Hill (TV show), where the mother was such a , well, witch?

love

r

Dooley Girls said...

I think they want the modern versions, such will be their loss.

Glad you appreciate my take on the stories - who knows, maybe I'll do it on my own anyway - and to heck with the 2000 word limit!

L