Pages

5/11/2011

the science experiement in my refrigerator

I'm not proud of the science experiment I grew in my refrigerator, mostly because I didn't know that was what I was doing at the time. 

Before you go all 'ick' and 'yuck' on me, I need to start with a confession:  I don't eat onions if I can avoid it.  I was raised in a mostly onion free home and have remained such to this day.  Sure I know the rest of the world likes them and eats them, but I have never learned to embrace the bulb.

So when I cook an onion and don't need it all, it goes into a baggie and sits where the butter would be in the fridge.


I had no idea just how long the onion had been in the fridge or quite what would happen to the bulb if left alone.

Who knew that the onion could sprout and grow - and grow well - in my refrigerator (other than my husband the reformed science geek)?



The only thing we've planted this spring that has really done well and taken true root has been that onion.

In metaphysics, there is so much talk about 'peeling the onion' to get to the core of a problem or issue.  Maybe it should be more about cutting the onion and seeing if it will grow?

Just rambling ...

No comments: