Pages

8/12/2011

write post-wrong blog ... or is it right post?

I have an alternative blog where I posted something about Brenda Ueland ... should have put it here instead of there - it is more in the right lines here - or is it write lines.

Anyway, in her book on writing, she talks about the importance of writing daily ... and being somewhat messy about it. 

According to the instructions, one should write every day for some period of time, or until the muse tires, and not re-read the bits and blurbs for up to six months.   The exercise is supposed to free the mind, silence the inner critic, and show the writer insights in his/her own character.

Her initial recommendation was to start with a whopper like you would tell a small child.

The purpose of the whopper is to expand upon the details and the experience of the vignette you are writing.

My goal is to write at least five minutes a day, every day, and do it here.

I don't know that the bits will be any good.  Nor do I guarantee that I will check for spelling, grammar, syntax, or punctuation. 

Let's see what happens and if there are any gems that are worth scribbling.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aloha, Lisa:

Writing doodles. I do them, too, once in a while.

Mine are one sentence blips that are in alphabetical order. Here's a link to one set:

http://huntermaui.blogspot.com/search/label/Writing%20Doodles

I pull them all together and see what kind of story comes out. They seem to run in themes.

Hope all is well with you.

Aloha,
Hunter