Pages

8/11/2011

Meditations on Violence ... Rory Miller

Much of romantic suspense and 'regular' suspense or mystery has a violent element.  Sometimes it is direct violence (the reader gets to see what is going on inside of the head of the attacker) or it is indirect (the reader 'sees' the aftermath of the situation).

About a year ago, I found a book called Meditations on Violence by Rory Miller.  

He has the background to thoroughly and completely explain not only the mechanics of violence and the psychological factors involved (both in creating the situation and some in the de-escalation of it).

Why mention this here?

I've been fighting with the muse about how much violence needs to be shown in my writing.  I have usually just had the implied threat - the fight that isn't engaged in - the preparation and planning of a thing all hope will be avoided.  I've been criticized for it because there isn't enough tension.

I've been fortunate to have very little first hand experience with it. Not to say I haven't felt threatened or been in bad situations, but I have avoided actual fights outside of a dojo.  The staged fights I did participate in resulted in several cracked ribs, broken toes, and a dislocated finger.  And these were 'fights' with men I knew who liked me.  It made me cringe at what I knew could happen if I were ever on the wrong side of some of these people. Not to mention actual bad guys.

My (limited) martial arts experience emphasized the best fight is the one avoided.  And there is no such thing as a fair fight, except in Hollywood. Take the advantages you can, the other guy will.  Train as though your life depends on it, it just might. 

Turns out, I'm in good company.  Mr. Miller is of that school of thought and so are several police officers I've had the privilege of knowing.

Every woman should read it to learn about the psychology of violence, what can make it escalate, and the importance of survival.

No comments: