Pages

9/23/2015

writing doodle - another beginning ... fat shaming/social media

Writing is a lot like exercise.  The more you do, the stronger and the better the results.  Right now this feels a bit like falling off of a bicycle ... things have gotten away from me  and rolled over me, but I'm gonna start plugging again.

~~~
Lula/Stephanie/Valerie ... walked into a bar (just kidding)

~~~~
“I hate those no-nothing, nothing doing punks on social media,” Lula said.  She pressed a button on the side of her phone to shut it down and tossed it into her purse.

In the beginning of my bounty hunting career, the only social media that seemed to touch my life was the grapevine in the Berg.  It never mattered what my supposed or real transgression, if it happened within five minutes of home, my mother and grandmother would have been informed. Depending on the source, the details varied, almost always embellished in some way shape or form.  But the framework of what happened was there.  There was no escape. Not unlike social media. With the blooming of all of the forms of social media, I opted out.  Provided I remained in the Garden State, I had enough connections, friends and family to do my job without technological embellishments. Mostly.

For a Tuesday morning, things were slow in the bonds office.  Connie and my cousin the weasel, were out doing who knew what and I was babysitting Lula.  I put down my cup of coffee and wiped the remaining doughnut crumbs from the corner of my mouth. “What’s wrong, Lula?” The last time she turned off her phone and chucked it into her purse, she had given up on Tank. It had only lasted about two weeks before she saw her way clear and knew he was missing her, but it was a long two weeks for me. I crossed my fingers that it wasn’t Tank related.

She huffed, shrugged, and sighed.  “Everyone’s a hater. Everyone’s a critic.”

In my experience, that was true enough.  “You know what my Grandpa Harry used to say, right? Opinions are like assholes.”

We said in unison, “Everyone’s got one.”

“Exactly,” I said.  “So, who said or did what?” I wasn’t sure if I wanted to know, but she’d talk about it one way or another.

“You remember the last time Sally Sweet and I played the bowling alley after hours?”

Just this last weekend, Sally Sweet and his band of Lovelies had lost their regular gig at the Liberty Ballroom.  The management had wanted to change things up and started Swing with the Swingers night, combining a place for swingers to meet others, but not to swap, set to the old big band tunes circa World War II.  At about the same time, the local bowling alley was looking for new streams of revenue and turned into an after hours place for kids to hang out after curfew on Saturday nights and they wanted a band. On a provisional basis.”

“So anyway, we did one set and had my cousin Peanut take some pictures and put them up on FriendSpace to try to improve our cache. We are building our brand.”

Peanut was a makeup artist cum stylist Lula had trained in her personal style for many years.  This meant that the color wheel had a flat.  The more things opposed each other, the more they were obviously meant to be together. This color chart had no subtle tones, no pastels, it had neon. A lot of neon.  The hair and the hair pieces, the shoes, the outfits, the makeup, everything seemed to be neon. Or black trimmed in neon.

“Okay.” I had a really sick feeling in the pit of my stomach where this was going to go.

“Well anyway, there’s fat shaming involved.”

Lula had made the executive decision it was better to have dangerous curves than no curves.  She was on the plus-plus side of plus size, but most of her clothes came from the Junior Miss Department.  Her clothes tended to wear out from the inside out.

“Ouch,” I said.  “Some people just aren’t kind.”

“No shit. Let me show you the picture they are all hating.”

I wanted to cover my eyes and look through my fingers.  I had seen the best of Lula and some of the outfits she wore to perform were far from the best of Lula.

“It’s on my FriendSpace page,” she said.  She pointed to my phone and said, “You still haven’t friended us yet. We need all the exposure we can get.”

I sighed.  I really didn’t want to do the social media thing now or ever.  As soon as an account opened, I was sure it would be filled by my mother’s friends keeping better tabs on me. Worse still, over the years there have been multiple less than flattering pictures of me and I really didn’t want to see those posted on the internet for the whole world to see.  It was bad enough receiving them in text messages or on email, but to my knowledge, they weren’t available for the entire world.  Even if they were some days it paid to be an ostrich.

Lula tapped me on the shoulder so I would evacuate Connie’s chair and she could control the computer. I guess some pictures were best seen when they were larger than life.  We traded places and Lula logged into her account.  After a few clicks and a minor delay waiting for the page to load, there it was.  Possibly one of the most unflattering pictures of all time of a woman’s denim clad posterior as she was bending over a refreshment table.  To make things worse, her pants had split and a tramp stamp was visible. 

I recognized both the jeans and the tramp stamp with clown faces on each side and which proclaimed her to be the property of her snuggle bunny, Albert.

“Oh, God,” I whispered.

“Yeah, that’s what I said.  Your sister’s got to be hating life right about now.”


My older sister Valerie had always been the taller, prettier, smarter, and more successful one.  Until recently.  Recently divorced, she married Albert Kloughn on the rebound and immediately settled into life as the perfect homemaker and babymaker. The two of them put the mild in wild. 

TBC? 


No comments: